Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What did you do at school today?

I've had several parents mention to me that it's difficult to get their children to open up about what they did at school. I have the same trouble with my own daughter, but have the luxury of knowing what they are doing since she's in my colleague, Mrs. Koch's, kindergarten class. Here are some ideas for things you could ask this month: 1. What happened when you melted the icicles you brought inside? 2. Tell me about weighing things on the scale and finding out if they weighed less or more. 3. Tell me about some of the books Mrs. Dostie read recently (see Shelfari on the blog’s sidebar). 4. What math workplace did you do today? 5. What are you writing about in Writer’s Workshop? 6. What greeting did you do today at Morning Meeting? 7. What do you plan to share on your sharing day? 8. What is your “heart word” this week? 9. Show me the letters you have been practicing lately (v, w, z, q). How do you write them and what sounds do they make? 10. Tell me about “listening to reading”. I hope these sentence starters spark some good conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment